Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Web Design

In starting a web design project I discuss with the client what function the site is to perform and what overall message or impression is to be conveyed. I also need to find out:
  • How much information is to be presented on the home page
  • How many levels are required
  • How many unique pages 
From this I  can work up an estimate and proposal.


Organizing the information helps determine the layout of the home page and the navigation. I usually make an organization chart with link lines and other notes.







Before I begin designing, I look at similar sites to see what has been done:
  • What images and motifs are used (or overused)
  • What each site tries to emphasize
  • How much information is presented




     

     


    From this, I can approach my initial designs as to what I can do to make the site stand out as well as what good ideas I might incorporate from my research.






    Other things that influence the direction of the design may be:
    • new identity
    • advertising campaign





    I use the same visual organization principles that are used for print.
    • Emphasis
    • Hierarchy: Dominant, Sub-dominant, Subordinate 
    • Symmetry or Asymmetry
    • Grouping
    • Contrast
    • Repetition 


      I also work with figure-ground relationships, typography, and image manipulation to help create a unique look or give the layout variety and and playful quality where appropriate.




      Depending on the budget, I try to provide 2-3 unique designs of home pages and second-level pages.













      If I'm proposing something that may require advanced programming, I will show it to a programmer beforehand. 




      From these designs, the client makes comments and requests changes.





      After the designs have been approved, layered Photoshop files are provided to the programming team. 




       Current design project that is to work within WordPress that shows three alternative approaches.





       

      8 comments:

      1. Pretty cool web designs. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon! Visit my site at GrafWeb.

        ReplyDelete
      2. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. website build

        ReplyDelete
      3. This blog is really helpful regarding all educational knowledge I earned. It covered a great area of subject which can assist a lot of needy people. Everything mentioned here is clear and very useful.

        custom web design services

        ReplyDelete
      4. An author must have a vast knowledge of vocabulary. The dictionary of a writer must be full of new english vocabulary to make their work more attractive. Use of new words makes their work more valuable and graceful.
        Memphis web design consultancy

        ReplyDelete
      5. I'm constantly searching on the internet for posts that will help me. Too much is clearly to learn about this. I believe you created good quality items in Functions also. Keep working, congrats! visit website

        ReplyDelete
      6. An interesting dialogue is price comment. I feel that it is best to write more on this matter, it may not be a taboo topic however usually individuals are not enough to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers. lemigliorivpn

        ReplyDelete
      7. I think this is definitely an amazing project here. So much good will be coming from this project. The ideas and the work behind this will pay off so much. https://vpnveteran.com/

        ReplyDelete
      8. Totally awesome posting! Loads of valuable data and motivation, both of which we all need!Relay welcome your work. https://allertaprivacy.it

        ReplyDelete